Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:40:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/man/man4 rl.4

On 06-Nov-2002 Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Alexander Langer wrote:
>> Thus spake Mike Silbersack (silby@silby.com):
>>
>> > In this case, the file in question is a manpage rather than a piece of
>> > source code.  The source code remains unchanged (as it should be.)
>>
>> The text in question is not descriminating.  It just mentions, that
>> the docs and the design are bad.  It's up to one himself if he wants
>> a cheap NIC and live with malformed data, or if he wants a better
>> NIC.  However, I think it's quite important to tell people at least what
>> a bad chip they are using, and the driver manpage is the correct place
>> for this.
>
> I'm not sure whether all the people objecting to this commit actually
> *looked* at the diff, but almost all of the information about the flaws
> of the rl(4) NIC actually remained intact.  Only two sentences were
> deleted:
>
>  The RealTek data sheets are of especially poor quality: the grammar
>  and spelling are awful and there is a lot of information missing,
>  particularly concerning the receiver operation.
>  One particularly
>  important fact that the data sheets fail to mention relates to the
>  way in which the chip fills in the receive buffer.
>
> The first one deals with the quality of the data sheet...it actually
> doesn't say anything about the NIC itself.  I think that one *can* go
> away.  I'd put the second sentence back, however, because it helps the
> rest of the paragraph make more sense.

The second sentence is important, yes.  Of the first sentence, I can
see removing the comments about grammar and spelling, but I would
leave the information about missing information that that is important.
If a company makes sloppy hardware and sloppy documentation that says
more than a company that makes sloppy hardware but at least turns out
accurate documentation.  Maybe:

"The RealTek data sheets are of especially poor quality.  There is a
 lot of information missing, particularly concerning the receiver
 operation."

etc. (and add the second sentence back in).  This preserves complaints
about the lack of technical quality in the documentation w/o beating
up on RealTek for really stupid stuff (spelling, grammar, etc.).  This
should be restored at the very least if the entire commit is not reverted.