Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:05:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org, ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DP2 ports..

On 19-Nov-2002 Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> Erm, so you effectively did a NOPORTS release?  *sigh*
>
> Well...I had a full ports tree to build the docproj ports so I could
> build docs.
>
> I thought it would be best to have a ports tree that matched up with the
> package set...was that wrong?

Well.  Not necessarily.  In hindsight, what we should have done was to
tag ports at some point and then have used that tag to build the releases
as well as to build the packages during the package build.  For the sake
of a DP we can just let it slide for now.  I'm just going to build with
NOPORTSREADMES for now.

>> Perhaps it
>> is a mistake to even be building ports and docs as part of make release.
>> Maybe we should only build docs once in a standalone environ (though
>> they would need their own dist if we did that) and the same for ports.
>
> Hrmph.  The problems you see are a result of breakage that should be
> fixed.  Note that if we build docs standalone, we'd need to do some
> extra work to make release docs available from the sysinstall doc menu
> (they need to be in the mfsroot).

Oof, ok.

> (On the other hand, I have some infrastructure to help build docs
> separately, if we decide to do this.)
>
>> I guess I'll build DP2 w/o any docs or ports for now.
>
> If you do that, can I suggest some workarounds?
>
> Use the pre-built release documentation files from the RELNOTESng
> snapshot site.  Go to:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/5.0-DP2/
>
> Grab the relevant files (there should be six documents...three are MI
> and three are MD).  A "normal" release with docs would have 13
> RELNOTESng files (HTML and TXT for each of six documents, plus the CSS).
> I can make up tarball(s) for you if this would help?
>
> Also, you should be able to grab the regular doc distribution from the
> i386 bits.

Well, since I'm just using NOPORTSREADMES on Alpha, I'll build docs on
Alpha.

>> The docs don't
>> build on sparc64 anyway w/o the binutils import.
>
> OK, well on that platform, that trumps our whole conversation.  :-p

Yeah, no docs on sparc64 for now.