Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:00:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        FreeBSd-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I/O Errors with PPP

Hi Y'all,

This is a continuation of a problem we encounter when running the new DPT
SCSI driver on a Pentium Pro machine.

To make long stories short, here is what we did:

*  Setup kernel PPP session to our favorite ISP.  We tried, V34, 64K ISDN
   and 128Kb ISDN.  Same result.

*  Start make release, make world, or dump.

Result:  Either the system FREEZES solid or all access to a given disk
devie blockes indefinitely.  The second case seems more common.
To verify, we had another scenario:

*  Do NOT start PPP

*  Start X11 (XF8633), open an xterm, login to another system and run an
   endless loop of ``ls -alR''.

*  Start a compile, dump to tape (sure crasher) or even large dump on two
   tape drives at the same time.

Result:  Perfect behavior and completion.

The above are with or WITHOUT software interrupts enabled in the driver.
Actually, these results are reproducable wit hthe software interrupts
#ifdef`ed out of the driver.  Load does not seem to matter, as long as
there is some.  We managed to get crashes overnight when cvsup was running
from a cron entry, or receiving email.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Simon

P.S.  We do see an occsional sio buffer overflow when running ISDN.