Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 18:58:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

On 05-Mar-98 Evan Champion wrote:
>>This happens a lot as after several hours (2 or 3) of using
>>ijppp and XFree86 the count of FIFO overflows can be around 100.
>

> I have a Pentium Pro 200 with 16650's (and the 16650's are detected) and
> during a full install of FreeBSD over 128kbps ISDN (230.4kbps port speed)
> would get around 700 FIFO overflows.  Someone would have to do a lot of
> convincing to get me to believe the driver is working properly when a
> machine like that can't handle a 128kbps datastream in single user
> mode...

Assume you are doing something like FTP of packages-current.
You are reading about 16 kilobytes per second, which is just about 1,142
interrupts per second (assuming a 16 myte FIFO and 14 byte treshold.  Every
1KB, you write to disk, so now we have 1,160 interrupts per second.  Add
10% ACK on the FTP connection, HZ heartbeat, and you have 1,400 interrupts
per second.  Say 2,000 interrupts/Sec.  A P6-200 will be safe in this
regard.  In a RT O/S this will give us about 500us per interrupt.  What do
you think?