Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:20:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any thought given to...

On 16-Mar-98 Karl Denninger wrote:

> You should try it.  I built a second source tree and applied the patches
> (a couple of quick fix-ups were required) and it works very well.

Knowing who wrote it, I trust it works real well.

I have no hardware on which to test it, until I convert a DPT to CAM.

> The primary benefit is intelligent management of tag queueing; this can
> make
> for huge performance increases on very busy systems.  The old driver is
> somewhat stupid about this, and it shows.

I had this discussion with justin before.  The DPT firmware does a rather
good job at queue taggin.  the overhead of pushing individual commands into
the DPT, vs. tagged requests is at the noise level.  I am sure it (good
tagging) will be a boon for other controllers, though.

> If you look at an SCSI device that actually allows you to see what is
> going
> on (ie; the CMD RAID controllers) you'll see that the old driver, under
> heavy load, aborts tags on a somewhat-regular basis.  While this doesn't
> destroy anything, it is symptomatic of the driver being too dumb to know
> what the "right" number of outstanding tags should be, and perhaps other
> points about management of them in general.

What you rfer to as RAID controllers, are, in fact a ``RAID box'' which you
access via another HBA.  Right?

> CAM doesn't do this - at all.  In fact, CAM leaves no turds in the SCSI
> event logs on our CMD RAID systems - something the standard drivers
> cannot claim to do.
>
> Raw, single-process I/O rates are comparable.  Where CAM wins big is on
> very
> busy systems with lots of small I/Os to unrelated places - exactly where
> tagged queueing is most useful.
>
> Our news system is running a CAM kernel now.  It pulls raw I/O rates
> (when
> idle) of ~17MBps through the disk pack (I've posted about this before)
> with
> either set of drivers.
>
> With the old driver, the system was starved for SCSI I/O.  Not due to
> lack
> of transfer rate - due to inelegant ordering of I/O operations.  News is
> monster on the disk system - it has near-zero locality of reference, and
> across 30GB of data, no amount of cache helps much.

True.  I have observed the same thing.

> CAM has basically fixed this.  Response time has fallen 70% for posting
> and
> we are now limited by Ethernet cable bandwidth (!) into the same machine.
> I'm going to swap that card out for a 100TX one and plug it into the
> other
> side of our switch soon.
>
> As far as I can tell, this looks to be entirely due to better tag
> queueing
> management in the CAM driver.

I belive the new code is an improvement.  Is it exclusively due to one
factor?

Simon