Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:30:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        David Ramahefason <rama@easynet.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DPT Install big problem

On 30-Jun-98 David Ramahefason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a 3334UW plus a 7 slot DPT cabinet with hot plus HD.
> The dptmgr create all the array without any problem...
> But when we start to install FreeBSD, the card hangs during
> the filesystem creation.... with LED 1 on...
> I've called DPT to have some advice... but the only thing
> they told me was to lower the xfer rate on the SCSI bios.
> I've lowered it to 5Mhz.. it didn't change anything.
> We've tryied to install Redhat, and it worked...
> Do we have to do special things to have the DPT system
> working under FreeBSD (which is want we really want)

LED 1 stuck on means the PCI bus is hung, or the DPT is hung on the bus.
I need a bit more data:

Exact kernel configuration and version
Motherboard details
DPT firmware and BIOS versions - not the same!
Any kernel messages that show during the hang

There are some special options to compile for kernels that tax the PCI bus,
but let's see what you have first.

Simon