Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:10:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Both PAP & login ??

El 14-Dec-98 a la(s) 23:48:41 Brian Somers escribia:

>> El 26-Nov-98 a la(s) 18:28:34 Brian Somers escribia:

>> > No - it's a bit Irish (to be sure to be sure).

>> > [Don't flame - I'm Irish!]
>>
>>         Guess what I found out, I have just been playing with kernel ppp
>> and I not only don't need the login thing here, but I must necessarily
>> take it off also. Any suggestion ?   My ISP says the carrier's system can
>> accept both authentication methods, but it should not ask for a login if I
>> supply the PAP strings.
>
> There are lots of examples in ppp.conf.sample.

        Examples ... ?  Sure, but how do they apply ?  I apologize, I
think I didn't manage to explain the problem accurately, or maybe I am
misunderstanding something ...  To summarize: I had user-mode ppp working
just fine, PAP authentication and nothing else, just fine as I say. Then
the carrier changed its system and now I need both PAP and login to
authenticate myself. Ok, maybe they are a bit too paranoiac, it seems, and
as far as I know they don't come from the Emerald Isle either. But the
point is: this is the case with user-mode ppp only; with kernel-mode
ppp PAP authentication is enough. Same remote system, same phone number,
same everything but the ppp program in this side of the link. It's ok, for
me it's not so big a problem, I was just curious to read what someone who
does know ppp has to say. And to learn from it of course.

        My apologies again

> --
> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
>       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !

                                                        Manuel Garcia