Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:49:33 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@iol.ie>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Subject:   Re: Sudden mouse death?

On 11-Jan-99 Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

>>This is the second time I've had this happen, so maybe it's not a
>>complete fluke.  I walked away from my computer for a while, and when
>>I came back, my mouse didn't work.  I'm running X using sysmouse and a
>> .. snip ..

        I get very similar events quite often on my laptop which has a PS/2
touchpad. The symptoms are essentially identical and moused is not involved,
I've had the same kind of mouse lockup with and without moused, the system is
more robust with moused and sometimes I can get the mouse back by restarting
moused, more often it claims not to be installed.

> I rarely hear this type of errors.
>
> It sounds like hardware failure.  Power to the mouse may not be
> supplied reliably.

        I have been assuming it was an apm related problem without much
justification, presumably power management could produce similar effects to a
dodgy power connection.

> Any possibility that the connector or lead to the mouse may be faulty?

        Not in my case (I hope) it is built in to my laptop (although apm may
be producing similar effects to power problems). Is there anything I can
usefully instrument (I am running 3.0-RELEASE) and report on, I can expect
several lockups a day.

E-Mail: Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@iol.ie>
Date: 12-Jan-99
Time: 19:14:45