Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:52:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Standard Splash Screen?

On 27-Apr-99 Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Anyone here would vote on any of the currently available art for a
> default boot splash screen? "Real Hackers don't use splash screens"
> votes also apply. :-)

I suggest that the standard splash screen be a 320x200 BMP instead of a nice
high resolution one just so that it will show up on most everyone's computer.
I know that the ATI 3D Rage graphics cards (both AGP and PCI) seem to have
obnoxious VESA BIOS's and won't display 640x480 for example.  And standard VGA
cards are stuck using 320x200 too of course.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is now support for
PCX splash screens as well via /modules/splash_pcx.ko.

Finally, my vote would have to be for saturn_1_320.bmp.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.freebsd.org