Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 13:07:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: "Powered by FreeBSD" logo at www.hotmail.com ?!

On 05-Sep-99 Ilia Chipitsine wrote:
> (this letter is addressed to webmaster/webmistress of Hotmail, copy of it
> is posted to questions@FreeBSD.ORG and advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG)
>
> Dear Webmaster,
>
> It's no surprize for me that Hotmail runs 2000 of servers with FreeBSD.
> I also has an account @ hotmail.com, so I'm interested person :-)
>
> What about putting "powered by FreeBSD" at the www.hotmail.com ?!
> I do not want this letter to be negative, but having that logo on the
> Web-page will show some respect to FreeBSD Inc. Also it will help to
> promote FreeBSD.

You probably should have Bcc:'d advocacy@, rather than Cc'd. However, it's no
surprise to me that Hotmail does not openly announce that it runs FreeBSD,
because it is owned by Microsoft.

Or they may just want to keep a "clean image" for their front-end webpage and
not confuse people who wonder WTF FreeBSD is.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>