Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:17:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Users <freebsd-users@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How do I mount a 2nd IDE hard disk FreeBSD partition?

[To the people on FreeBSD-Users: Hi, I'm "almost" back, but not quite..]

I have been trying to "upgrade" my system from 2.2.7 to 3.2 by installing
3.2 onto a new hard disk. I now want to regain access to my existing files
so that I can copy them onto the new hard disk.

My 3.2 installation (eventually!) went well, and I must commend the core
team's work on the FreeBSD installation program, which did its stuff just
fine [1], and even managed to squeeze a resolution for X of 1152x768whatever
out of my graphics card, which I hadn't managed before ;-)

[1] And isn't as scarey as I'd thought it was. Once you get somebody else
to do your first install, and then pick up odds and ends along the way,
things don't seem so bad after that..

Anyway, my problem is that I can't seem to be able to mount my old hard
disk.

Both disks are alive and work fine in isolation: I've been ripping cables
out swapping back and forth from the old disk to the new disk as my boot
disk ;-)

However, when both disks are installed

(new disk on 1st IDE channel, master,
old disk on 2nd IDE channel, master)
(also CD drive on 1st IDE channel, slave)

although the BIOS and the bootmenu recognise that there are two disks
present, I can't seem to mount the old disk!

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure exactly _how_ to mount the disk.
I've had as quick/long a swatch around the handbook/FAQ/website as phone
charges allow me to ( :-( ), but I can't see any completely idiot-proof
instructions on mounting IDE disks (plus the whole slice/partition/disk
unit/whatever thing has me further confused).

What little I understand is as follows:

From dmesg (booting 3.2 with both disks present):

My new disk appears as wd0 wdc0
(What's the difference? I'm afraid I'm really confused by these things
referring to almost(?) the same thing with scarily similar names?)

My old disk appears as wd2  wcd1 (I *think*!)
(Damn, I forgot to note that down before booting the old disk (only) again:
now I'm thoroughly confused, sorry! Actually this is doubly tricky, as the
new 3.2 install isn't in a fit state to get access to the net, so I can't
type this message from there, only from 2.2.7 on the old disk..)

My old disk partitions were as follows:
(from /etc/fstab)

/dev/wd0s2b  swap
/dev/wd0s2a  /

Trying any and all combinations of

mount -r /dev/wd1s2a   /mnt
mount -r /dev/wd2s2a   /mnt

does not seem to get me anywhere.

(Combinations being omitting the 'a' at the end, changing 1 to 2, etc, etvc)

I think that mount -r /dev/wd2s2a   /mnt  is the right
mount-point??? but there doesn't seem to be a /dev/wd2s2a on my new 3.2
system (only wd2s2, IIRC).  Is this right, and if so, how do I go about
making the right device?

Sorry, for being so vague and confused: I've just realised that I haven't
noted down nearly as much relevant information as I'd needed to, and I'm on
the "wrong disk" to be able to check up as I type :-(
Plus being the end of a long evening trying to get this install to work,
doesn't help... :-(

Any help in getting my old hard disk mounted in tandem with the new one
would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
(cc:s from FreeBSD-questions would be very welcome as I don't have the
bandwidth/money to subscribe to the full mailing list)

Many thanks,

David.

---
David Marsh,drmarsh@bigfoot.com  | http://www.viewport.f9.co.uk/          |
Glasgow/Glaschu, Scotland.       | If urgent, phone: +44 77-121-848-90    |