Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:32:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Hartley <mark@whetstonelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FW: PPP & security

I've followed the list for a few months (& searched through the mailing list
archive) and really couldn't find anything that answered my question, so here I
go:

I've got a home network (FreeBSD, Win95, Mac: with hubs, cat5, etc.) that
currently connecting to the Internet via a FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE machine (using
ppp -auto -alias ISP), and everything is working great.  I stay connected for
8-10 hours at a time (I work from home).

My question is mostly related to the security of my network.  I want to know if
the FreeBSD machine is providing adequate security for me.  I've disabled
services I do not use on the machine.  I'm going to be putting 3.2 STABLE on the
gateway machine next week.  Should I worry about setting up IPFW & NATD? (is
this even possible with ppp?)

Are there other things I should be doing?  I realize on a dialup I'm kind of
like a moving target, but I stay on long enough that I want to make sure I'm
being careful.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.