Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 12:12:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Pedro Fernando Giffuni <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, "R. Imura" <imura@cs.titech.ac.jp>, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Possible change in the Qt port.

On 08-Nov-99 Pedro Fernando Giffuni wrote:
> You hit the point: I don't care where it is as long as we have a QTDIR.
> It collides with qt1, so currently we are patching everything to find
> $(PREFIX)/lib/libqt2, $(PREFIX)/include/qt2, and $(PREFIX)/bin/moc2.

Right. And in some very odd cases, it doesn't seem to work (kdevelop is one
particular Qt/KDE-based port I've been trying to port for nearly three months
with not much success). I think that having a QTDIR (separate ones for Qt 1.4x
and Qt 2.x) will simplify things a great deal.

Is it not possible to have a QTDIR that is compliant with hier(7)? Can I
suggest ${X11BASE}/qt & ${X11BASE}/qt2 ? That will make it independent of this
particular hier(7) section:

              X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc (op-
                        tional).
                        bin/      X11R6 binaries (servers, utilities, local
                                  packages/ports).
                        etc/      X11R6 configuration files and scripts.
                        include/  X11R6 include files.
                        lib/      X11R6 libraries.
                        man/      X11R6 manual pages.
                        share/    architecture independant files.

..where under Pedro's suggestion (lib/) it would be against hier. But we can
simply create a new directory under X11R6, just like WindowMaker does (in this
particular case, ${X11BASE}/GNUstep). And it would be compliant with X11R6's
hier(7) description above! :-)

>> Just because the rule isn't enforced in all cases doesn't make the
>> rule invalid. :)

May I point out that there are 2,700+ ports and (currently) only one exception
to this "rule" (that I know of)? :-)

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>