Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:22:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Hartley <mark@whetstonelogic.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Backup several hosts with dump

I have searched high and low for the answer to this:  man pages,
website, -questions archives, but I have been unable to find the
answer so...

I have a SCSI DAT drive (DDS2) in my FreeBSD3.3-STABLE machine that
is working great.  I can backup my partitions with dump, and all
works great.  What I want to do is back up a couple of other FreeBSD
machines on my local net as well. (one FreeBSD3.2-RELEASE and one
FreeBSD2.2.8-STABLE)  I'd like to be able to run one script from the
machine with the tape drive and have it cycle through the machines,
backing them up one at a time.

I've looked into Amanda, but it is overkill for what I want to do.
My question is what syntax do I use with dump (or do I use rdump?) to
back up the other machines?  What do I need to do on the other
machines to enable them to be backed up?

I've tried several things, but it is obvious I'm getting nowhere...

Thanks in advance.

Mark.