Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2021 11:51:48 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which cpu/mainboard for fast routing (bgp, full tables) ?

Hi!

> That class of processor has fairly limited memory bandwidth.  An E5 v3 or
> greater should get you what you want, although finding a system that makes
> good use of available PCIe lanes with a single socket configuration can
> sometimes be maddening.  AMD may have a variety of nice parts for this
> application, although I don’t have any personal experience with routing on
> such hardware.

Thanks -- I searched for a pair of boxes in my infra with those
specs, found them:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz
  82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection
and
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v4 @ 3.50GHz
  82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection

and tested. Roughly the same performance, if we use only one
connection.

 iperf3 -c <destip>

The boxes were able to reach 10gbit, if we run 3 threads in parallel:

 iperf3 -c -P 3 <destip>

So I have some area where I can investigate further.

--
pi@FreeBSD.org         +49 171 3101372                  Now what ?