Date:      Sun, 19 May 2019 01:58:44 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RFC w.r.t. toggling debugging on/off for mountd via a signal

Hi,

I've been working with Peter Errikson on a patch for mountd that adds a new=
 option
for incremental updating of exports. This seems to be helping a lot w.r.t. =
performance
on an NFS server with lots (10000+) of exported file systems.

I have debug syslog() calls in the code, which I/Peter think would be worth=
 keeping
in the production code in case someone runs into problems with this new opt=
ion.

As such, I'd like to have the code compiled in by default (not only if DEBU=
G is defined,
as mountd.c has now). I also was thinking it would be nice if the daemon di=
dn't need
to be restarted to enable/disable the debugging output, since that breaks N=
FS
mounting during the restart.

So, I was thinking of having the debugging output toggled on/off via SIGUSR=
1.

What do you think of this idea?
Any other/better ways to do this?
Also, would LOG_DAEMON and LOG_DEBUG sound like the correct facility and
priority for theses syslog() calls?

Thanks in advance for any comments, rick