Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:28:33 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ffs_truncate3 panics

Hi,

During testing of the pNFS server I get an ffs_truncate3 panic every once i=
n a while.
A few things that might be relevant:
- Seems to happen more often when soft update journaling is enabled, but wi=
ll
  happen when it is disabled.
- Normally happens when a fairly large subtree of the file system is being =
removed.

These file systems are a bit odd, since all the regular files in them are e=
mpty but
have extended attributes that are accessed during the subtree removal. (The
extended attributes tell the server where the data files are.)

I replaced the panic() with a printf() and every time the printf() happens.=
..
bo->bo_dirty.bv_cnt =3D=3D 0 and bo->bo_clean.bv_cnt =3D=3D 1.
After one of these printf()s, the system continues to run ok. When the file
system is fsck'd after this has occurred, it passes fine and I haven't seen=
 and
indication of file system corruption after running with this file system fo=
quite a while after the printf()s first occurred.

Since the panic() only occurs when "options INVARIANTS" is enabled and I do=
n't
see evidence of file system corruption, I'm wondering if this panic() is va=
lid and
needed?

rick