Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 14:13:13 -0700
From:      Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, nate@yogotech.com
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad X20 keyboard mapping problems

Kevin Oberman writes:

>  > Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 04:11:43 -0700
>>  From: Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
>>  Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>>
>>  I wonder if anyone on the list using the ThinkPad X20 has had their
>>  keyboard mapping go screwy in the middle of a session.  I'm helping a
>>  friend with his new 4.3-RELEASE installation and it's happened a
>>  half-dozen times this evening.  After it occurs, the keys sometimes
>>  generate characters that resemble hieroglyphics, other times it's
>>  just wrong characters for the key.  The only remedy is to reset and
>>  reboot.  Most vexing and frustrating.  Could termcap lack a suitable
>>  entry for the ThinkPad or something like that?  OTOH, everything
>>  seems to work fine until it suddenly goes stupid.  I'm grasping at
>>  straws here.
>
>I don't believe that this has anything to do with the hardware at
>all. It sounds like your terminal window is dropping into the
>alternate character set which, by default, is the DEC VT100 line
>drawing set. It has lots of lines, corners, and weird looking things
>as well a characters to represent various control characters in place
>of all lower case characters. Upper case character should be
>unaffected.
>
>Sending a 0xF (CTRL-O) will flip you back to the normal set and it is
>documented in one of the xterm files, ctlseqs.ms, but I fix it with a
>hard reset in my term. Assuming it's an xterm, that is found in the
>CTRL-button2 menu. In gnome-terminal, left-button and "Reset
>Terminal". Ugly, but better than a reboot.
>
>Depending on your console setup, it could even happen in console
>mode. for this, you want the control character.
>
>The question is, what is sending the control character (0xE or CTRL-N)
>to flip the character set? It usually happens to me when in
>inadvertently send a binary file to my terminal.
>
>R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
>Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
>E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Hmm... interesting analysis.  I might suggest to my buddy that he
experiment with some of your tips before recompiling the kernel with
pvct instead of the syscons console driver.  See my recent reply to
Nate Williams, with subject "ThinkPad console drivers (was: Boot
hangs on mounting root with wireless card inserted)."

.\\ichelle