Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 01:21:33 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org, dillon@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-core@freebsd.org, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

At 8:54 PM +0200 2003/02/03, Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:

>  I think we (FreeBSD users/contributors community) need to know why. I
>  suspect it was a some internal war (maybe offending postings/commit
>  logs/etc) I don't know exactly what it was. I don't think it was enough
>  to remove his commit bit. With that reason we then should also remove
>  obrien@'s commit bit (he also was a little bit offending sometimes).

	Yes, Matt was one of the more productive people on the project.
However, historically he has also been one of the most obnoxious.  It
was cross-fire between him and PHK that cost me any possibility of
ever working for Jordan Hubbard and company-de-jure, but considering
that Jordan is now gone and the company has cratered, that's probably
not a loss.

	With talented people like this, you tend to make allowances.  But
that can only go so far.  Keep in mind that this is not the first
time he has lost his commit bit.

	Indeed, it's ironic that Mark was the one to remove his commit
bit this time.  Mark was strongly encouraging me to get more heavily
involved in FreeBSD again (after my previous mis-encounters with
Jordan), and he was praising Matt as having actually calmed down and
become a much more civil person, etc....

	For Mark to have been the person to remove Matt's commit bit, I
know that this process would have to have been by consensus
throughout -core, and I know that it must have have really hurt him
to have to be the person to do it.

	But I also have some sense of Mark's commitment to FreeBSD, and
that he (and the other members of -core) must have felt that this was
the only way they could deal with whatever it was that Matt had done.

	One way or the other, we have lost talented people in the past.
I'm sure that we will lose talented people in the future.  The key
thing is for -core to keep the good of the project in mind, and to
make sure that FreeBSD continues to survive regardless of who comes
or goes, when, or under what circumstances.

	I hope that this issue can be resolved without Matt leaving the
project, and that he gets his commit bit restored relatively soon.  I
highly value his work, but not at the expense of the entire project.

	I will say that I feel it is now incumbent upon Mark and the
other members of -core to summarize the situation and give us
sufficient details to explain what happened and why.  What I've seen
so far from Robert Watson is a start, but only a start.

	In order to put this situation for the larger FreeBSD community
to rights, we need more.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>