Date:      Mon, 22 May 2017 02:20:50 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ssh.. can we please have HPN back?

--3wjPWbQjFw2GOKfQicCnMVqn4hPN3gcVM
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

--DeBn3DwctKFeJaWQarxqiTqtLA5uf878K

On 2017-05-18 22:28, Julian Elischer wrote:
> So after stripping out the HPN version of ssh from our product becasue
> "it was no longer needed" we dicovered that we were premature in doing =
so.
> Apparently ssh still really needs HPN to get any throughput at all when=

> there are latencies involved.
>=20
>=20
> For example, with HPN we get 13MB/sec between the Azure US west
> Data center and the Azure East data center.But the standard ssh in 10.3=

> (with HPN stripped out) can barely manage 2MB/sec transfers.
>=20
> I did ask at the time whether it was proved that the new ssh didn't
> require the HPN changes,
> and was assured, "no" but it would appear that the picture isn't as cle=
ar.
> tht seems silly to have to import the port when we have what would
> otherwise be a
> perfectly good ssh as part of hte system, and it's really annoying
> having to specify
> /usr/local/bin/scp  or /usr/local/bin/ssh in every script.
>=20
> So can we please have the latest version of the HPN changes back in the=

> default system please?
> It seem rather odd that the upstream openssh has had this problem for S=
> LONG and not fixed it.
>=20
> Julian
>=20
>=20
rg"

I have this stand-alone patch ready now:

https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable/compare/master...allanjude:V_=
7_5_dynamic_window

In my benchmarks with 100ms of latency (from dummynet) is increases SSH
send throughput from 1 megabyte/sec to 225 megabytes/sec provided a
large enough socket buffer.

Still seeing lesser performance on the recv case, working on it.

--=20
Allan Jude