Date:      Sat, 3 Dec 2016 21:59:00 -0500
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFT EFI Boot Refactoring

--arQd7PRswDidkEC78EiEHoTv6NEWfSimg
From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To: Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org

--Pi0td10lcdGV92dIcHJvWDKh4mWPcrDfu

(Re-adding -hackers, to document the diagnosis)

You're freezing at the same point as where tsoome saw it freeze.

Basically, what's happening at that point in the code is it's probing
all device handles, trying to attach filesystem drivers.  Hanging here
means that it's crashing somewhere in that process.

The boot loader is going to hit every single partition and try all the
filesystem drivers until one works.  It will bail on the ESP, since that
will have an EFI_SIMPLE_FILESYSTEM_PROTOCOL driver courtesy of the EFI
firmware.

Here's the diagnostic information I have so far:

* My setup is a positive example (works): two disks, disk 1 has ESP and
freebsd-zfs, disk 2 has a partition that's held both an msdosfs and a
UFS (it was originally a swap partition that I've been creating various
filesystems on to test the boot process), a zfs intent log, and a zfs
l2arc cache.  All ZFS stuff is part of the same pool, which holds the
root fs.

* Your setup is a negative example (fails).

* tsoome's setup is also a negative example: "The VM has 4 disks,
illumos mirror zfs on first 2, third has fbsd, 4th (for this test) has
EFI system partition, and zfs and ufs partitions, zfs partition has
bootfs with /boot directory."

You don't have a UFS filesystem anywhere, so we can rule that out.  It
might be tsoome's bug, and it might just be that the bug is sporadic,
which would explain why I'm not seeing it on my setup with a dosfs.

The only other obvious commonality between you and tsoome that doesn't
overlap my setup is multiple ZFS datasets, or ZFS data vdevs (mirrors,
stripes, etc) spread across multiple disks (my setup only has a log and
a cache on the ssd).

Here's what I'll do.  I'll create an "extra_logging" branch off of
efize_new in my github repo, wherein I'll add a bunch of extra logging
into the detection process.  It ought to be enough to print out device
paths and filesystem drivers just before it tries them.