Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 2009 18:31:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VOP_LEASE

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> As far as I can tell this has never been used.  Unless someone can show me
> otherwise I'm going to go ahead and remove it.

(A year, +/- one week, passes...)

Since we now have an NFSv4 client/server and it doesn't use VOP_LEASE, and
NQNFS is long-gone, I propose we revisit removing VOP_LEASE, which you
proposed last year but presumably died as a result of a discussion of whether
it might be useful again someday.  While not a huge overhead, in practice it
means a passage through the VOP vector for every I/O operation, and it
certainly adds lines of code.  Assuming no objections in the few days, I'll
toast VOP_LEASE implementation and calls from the rest of the stack from 8.x
so that it's gone before we ship 8.0.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge