Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2012 19:23:25 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Tim Bishop <tim-lists@bishnet.net>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, Cluster Administrators <clusteradm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng mirrors

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, Tim Bishop wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 06:35:48PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> ... we need it, especially if run well (though the majority of mirrors
>> sadly aren't run well); ...
>
> I run mirrorservice.org so I've interacted with quite a few open source

And I noticed that service about two weeks ago and have a reminder to

> projects that have their stuff mirrored by third parties. The FreeBSD
> system seems fairly primitive compared to others; whilst you have
> various things to check the status of the mirrors there's nothing (as
> far as I know) automatically happening with it. Other projects have
> systems to automatically remove mirrors from listings if they're not
> updating properly or are missing content.
>
> If FreeBSD was to do something similar you'd be able to retain a well
> established mirror network whilst effectively weeding out broken sites.

Part of the historic problem here is that we have little control over
*.cc.FreeBSD.org currently though we gain more as time passes.  So
it's not that easy.  We can remove them from website and release lists
and I am not sure to which extend this happening but well worth
investigating.  I seem to remember that Release Engineering in the past
had at least made sure that the mirrors mentioned in the release
announcement had the bits at that time.

The other problems would however equally remain - no statistics,
maintainance, unable to "atomically" deploy things, and a couple of
other stuff ...  The fact that the world has moved by a decade but we
did not may make these changes look more radical than they are.

> That said, 10TB worth of packages? That's a lot and I can imagine most
> mirrors couldn't handle that quantity of data.

7TB to start within the first year, yes, we are upping the game a
little to give a lot better support to users we hope.  It won't be there
from day 1 but that's the direction thigns are heading.  A lot of the
mirrors can't cope with the 1G or 2G of ftp, and most of the old stuff
is not on that anymore but on ftp-archive, so yeah...

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.