Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2014 10:08:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICU sweeping upgrade: bug or feature?

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> Today I started some ports' upgrade and icu went from 50.1.2 to 52.1.
>
> As soon as this happened, lots of applications are not working anymore.
>
> Hmmm... so, to make it short:
>> # ln -s libicudata.so.50.1.2 libicu
>> # ln -s libicudata.so.50.1.2 libicudata.so.50
>
> and Firefox and LibreOffice are starting again.

This may very well come back to bite you in the future, causing
mysterious failures long after you've forgotten you did it.  Here's a
little Ruby script to detect these (it needs updating to work with pkg):
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/fakelib/fastfakelib

Running pkg_libchk [-q] after port upgrades has worked well for me.  It
is from sysutils/bsdadminscripts by Dominic Fandrey, and easily detects
applications that are using old libraries and should be rebuilt.  It
worked this time also.