Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:09:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Cary <cary@SDF.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting ports updated on an older FreeBSD (5.1)

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Cary wrote:

> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:

>>> 5.1 Release happened during a particularly difficult period for FreeBSD
>>> development. As I recall, it was quite quickly superseded by 5.2 release
>>>
>>> Your quickest and most reliable way forward is to upgrade your FreeBSD
>>> box to something supported.  Given you're starting from such an old
>

>> Agreed, except I would suggest a completely separate computer for the
>> new install.  Old stuff that has been running for years can be fragile.
>> Moving a cable that has been motionless for years can make it fail, and
>> it's somehow a given that these systems are never backed up.
>>

> Were that the case, could there be any risk running a 10.1 executable
> on such a system?

I would be surprised if a 10.1 executable would run on a 5.1 system.
But that misses the point.  Do not try to run modern binaries on an
ancient system.  Set up a new 10.1 system, install new versions of the
same software, and copy configuration and data files from the old one.
Trying to update a 5.1 system in-place or run newer binaries on it is
unlikely to work.  If it does work, it's probably going to be shaky.
If it doesn't work, trying to get it to work will almost certainly take
more time than setting up a new 10.1 system and configuring it with
modern versions of the same applications, then copying data and
configuration.

Look at it this way: trying to do anything with a FreeBSD 5.1 system is
pretty much file recovery.  Many, many things have changed since then.