Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 2015 16:57:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Hoyoung Kim <trig4800@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the proper indent style for FDP?

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015, Hoyoung Kim wrote:

> Hello. I'm curious about indentation style.
> Which is the proper one when dealing with FDP xml files?
>
> The original FDP files follow the style like this:
>
>      <para>We have tried to keep the number of forward references in
>        the text to a minimum so that you can read this section of the
>        Handbook from front to back with the minimum page flipping
>        required.</para>
>
> This is another example:
>
>    <listitem>
>      <para>Introduce you to X, the &unix; windowing system, and
>        detail how to configure a desktop environment that makes
>        you more productive.</para>
>    </listitem>

These are correct.

> However, when I press P in Vim Visual mode to reformat selected text, the
> style changes like this:
>
>      <para>We have tried to keep the number of forward references in
>      the text to a minimum so that you can read this section of the
>      Handbook from front to back with the minimum page flipping
>      required.</para>
>
> And this:
>
>    <listitem> <para>Introduce you to X, the &unix; windowing
>    system, and detail how to configure a desktop environment that
>    makes you more productive.</para> </listitem>

These are not correct.

> All the original files follow the former style, but FDP Primer suggests the
> latter style.
> (https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/editor-config.html#editor-config-vim)
>
> I want to know whether the latter style is allowed or not.

No, the first style is the correct way.

> Should I manually indent paragraphs after pressing P?

If the editor does not do it correctly, yes.

Providing a default editor config does not suggest that editor does
everything correctly.  vim users might be able to help more.  I have yet
to find any editor that really does our indenting correctly.  Maybe some
programming can improve on what vim or emacs does by default.