Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 2020 16:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rob Roy Gregg <rr@robroygregg.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can bhyve pass disk vendor, model and serial values to guests?

FreeBSD Friends,

I tried the forums and thought I'd ask here next; here's the thread:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/can-bhyve-pass-disk-vendor-model-and-serial-values-to-guests.75851/

This is on 12.1-RELEASE-p6.

Can bhyve pass disks to guests in a way that preserves the disk's actual
vendor, model and serial values (as viewed from inside of the guest)?

Here's how a passed-in disk looks inside the guest with ahci-hd emulation:

   linux_in_bhyve# lsblk --output vendor,model,serial /dev/sda
   VENDOR   MODEL            SERIAL
   ATA      BHYVE SATA DISK  BHYVE-FC87-ABA5-711B

And with virtio-blk emulation:

   linux_in_bhyve# lsblk -o vendor,model,serial /dev/vdb
   VENDOR MODEL SERIAL
   0x1af4

Meanwhile, a similar disk configured on ESXi 5.5 U3b as a "pass-through
RDM" looks like this; this is what I'd like to see in the bhyve guest
also:

   linux_in_esxi# lsblk -o vendor,model,serial /dev/sdb
   VENDOR   MODEL            SERIAL
   HITACHI  OPEN-V-CM        60060e801602a100000102a100000bba

Thank you!