Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:55:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   web hosting best practices

Howdy,

Since the list is alive, I'll try a query here that I've had little luck
with using Google, which gives me way too much marketing and zero
technical information...

With the proliferation of web hosting services being run by everyone and
their uncle, I was hoping there were some decent resources as far as
simple best practices, but if they are out there, I'm not finding them.
My current ISP client and my last full-time ISP both just sell it as it's
requested and never rolled out anything on a large scale or implemented
any fully "hands off" control panel-based solutions.

We're not looking to go there (yet), but I am in the middle of moving our
hosting from an old Linux box to a new FreeBSD box.  I'm keeping all the
legacy stuff in a jail, then trialing a few control panels in other jails.

That said, most of the information I'm looking for revolves around
security and performance issues, user management, and just what additional
php and perl modules to offer as standard.  Very basic stuff, but I'm
looking for broad outlines and the experience of others...

Any good links to share?

Thanks,

Charles

___