Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:12:09 +0400
From:      Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov@gmail.com>
To:        Keyser <keyser456@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem w/ simple Hello World compiled w/ g++

On 6/7/05, Keyser <keyser456@verizon.net> wrote:
> I know quite a bit about programming, but not a lot about FreeBSD.  I've =
been pulling my hair out all morning just trying to get an unbelievably sim=
ple c++ "Hello World" program to run (it compiles fine) under FreeBSD.  Her=
e's the source:
>=20
> //helloworld.cpp
> #include <iostream>
> using namespace std;
>=20
> int main()
> {
>         cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
>         return 0;
> }
>=20
> I use g++ and it compiles fine, but I get an error immediately after runn=
ing the program:
>=20
> # g++ -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728
> # ls
> helloworld.cpp
> # g++ -o helloworld helloworld.cpp
> # ls
> helloworld      helloworld.cpp
> # ./helloworld
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>=20
> Do I have missing or out of date libraries (not sure how that's possible =
since I'm using the > latest version of FreeBSD, 5.4) or something and how =
do I remedy that situation?  Also, I > haven't "added" anything else relate=
d to development yet, and wouldn't expect I'd have to > just to get a Hello=
 World program to run properly, but maybe I'm wrong?

Cannot reproduce. Your program runs fine on my FreeBSD 5.4 machine.
What directory are you compiling and running the program from?

--=20
Dmitry

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"