Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 00:48:27 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        eugen@rd.zgik.zaporizhzhe.ua, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yura@rd.zgik.zaporizhzhe.ua
Subject:   Re: bug or feature in kern/tty.c

In message <Wb06ppmuW2@ache.dialup.ru>
    =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= writes:

>>> POSIX says that (what I call the) zombie state remains until the line is
>>> closed.  Clearing it when CLOCAL is raised is a special hack that helped
>>> very old (1.1.5) versions of slattach and perhaps other broken programs
>>> work right.

>>FYI: Of the 120 or so UNIX systems I ported TERM to while I was
>>at Century Software, only SCO Xenix 2.3.0 behaved this way, and they
>>fixed it in 2.3.1 after we reported the bug.

>BTW, it seems we talk about different things. As I understand the original
>problem, the question is: WHY SLATTACH NOT RECONNECTS WHEN CARRIER
>ESTABLISHED AGAIN (AUTOMATICALLY BY MODEM)?

>I.e.
>1) driver needs to track carrier when in TS_ZOMBI and
>set TS_CONNECTED, clear TS_ZOMBI when carrier
>appearse on the line.
>2) Slattach not need exit on SIGHUP but wait reasonable time
>until carrier will be up again.

I mean of course that CLOCAL turned on, i.e. slattach only
controls line and establish carrier on them, not other
program. So partial question is: is it possible to fix sio to send
SIGHUP to controlling terminal even when CLOCAL is set?

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -