Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:58:09 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   config.guess (was: Re: cvs commit: ports/audio/libmikmod/files patch-config.sub)

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> Peter had suggested making ports use a global config.sub so we don't
> have to patch hundreds of ports to teach them about ia64, amd64 and
> any other future processor architectures.  I think this would be
> worthwhile pursuing - NetBSD or OpenBSD may have already done work in
> this direction.

OpenBSD has a CONFIG_GUESS_DIRS variable (defaults to WRKSRC).
Before configure is run, global config.guess and config.sub files
are copied to the designated directories.

You still need to add CONFIG_GUESS_DIRS to all ports that put
config.* into a subdirectory, or have multiple copies, but you only
have to do this once.