Date:      Tue, 10 May 2022 18:38:32 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, Cristian Cardoso <cristian.cardoso11@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade automation

On 10/05/2022 17:46, Alan Somers wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 9:08 AM Cristian Cardoso
> <cristian.cardoso11@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have some FreeBSD servers in my machine park and I would like to perform the version upgrade in an automated way with ansible.
>>
>> In my example, I want to perform the upgrade from version 12.3 to 13, it is possible to run the upgrade with the command below:
>>
>> freebsd-update --not-running-from-cron upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE
>>
>> I ask this, because I don't know if it's the most correct way to execute this.
>>
>> Grateful for any assistance.
>
> Yes, that's perfect.  But there's another step too.  You'll have to do:
> freebsd-update install
> And _this_ step isn't easy to perfectly automate, because etcupdate
> may ask for your input when it merges config files.  If you know
> exactly which etc files you've modified, you can add them to
> IgnorePaths.  That way etcupdate won't run interactively, it will
> simply throw away changes from upstream.

Automation with etcupdate sounds very scary to me because etcupdate
breaks real life configuration files inplace. Mergemaster did it on
temporary copies. But if you let etcupdate to left something (after
merge conflict) in vital config file(s) wich will have syntax error on
next boot, then you are out.
It would be much better if etcupdate do not edit target file on merge
conflicts.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman