Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:25:19 -0800
From:      Michael Collette <metrol.net@gmail.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-security-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: LDAP and Linux compatibility

Well, came up with a solution as well as a new problem.  Thought I'd
at least share the solution here.

In /etc/profile I'm calling a shell script called inituser.sh.  Got
this running to insure the user's basic environment is all setup.  In
this script I now have it write to a file in /tmp with a line that
looks like...

bob:*:1000:1000:Bob Smith:/home/bob

I then have a symbolic link from this file to
/compat/linux/etc/passwd.  With this in play, FreeBSD is properly
performing an LDAP lookup, and Linux apps have somewhere to look for a
proper user id.  There are some security concerns I have with this,
and it sure feels like a nasty little hack, but it seems to work for
the moment.

Now my problem has to do with linux-fontconfig.  Neither acroread7 nor
reaplay will run due to complaining about fontconfig not being setup
properly.  Still futzing with this one.  Thankfully though, neither
app is still complaining about not being able to lookup a user id.

Later on,