Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2014 12:25:17 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mass cleansing of Apache module POLA violations

Hi all,

Thanks for maintaining Apache and friends.

I have a request. With my sysadmin hat on, I find maintaining Apache on=20
FreeBSD to be the most frustrating Apache experience on the planet. Some=20
Apache modules insert LoadModule into your httpd.conf automatically,=20
some insert with it commented out (#LoadModule), and some tell you in=20
pkg-message what you need to do to activate the module. The=20
inconsistency here is embarrassing.

Can we please stop trying to outsmart the sysadmin?

- I do *NOT* want every installed Apache module automatically activated=20
on every server. That's bloat and potential security hole. I might not=20
actually need it activated.
- I do *NOT* want pkg automatically manipulating my httpd.conf. It puts=20
entries in the wrong spot, sometimes under custom comment sections where=20
other LoadModules live.
- I do *NOT* want pkg and Apache to outsmart me and break my systems.
- I *do* want kind, helpful instructions in pkg-message or perhaps=20
samples that aren't loaded by default waiting for me in=20
%%ETCDIR%%/modules.d/

As of today you can expect the following:

Upgrade or reinstall mod_perl. Restart Apache. Your Apache is broken.=20
Why, you ask? Because mod_perl installs this:

#LoadModule perl_module        libexec/apache22/mod_perl.so

And helpfully *DELETES* my uncommented version of the line upon=20
deinstall for upgrade, and re-inserts it commented again!

There are several other offenders like this; I do not have a complete=20
list. But the point is: this behavior makes it impossible to reliably=20
administer large numbers of servers. Why should I have to deploy updates=20
and then fix my httpd.conf every single time? This is just bizarre=20
behavior. A port or package should never automatically modify a=20
production configuration file. Let the sysadmin handle the insertion or=20
removal of configuration.

If we can come up with a standardized mechanism I will *gladly* assist=20
in testing and fixing all ... 101 or so Apache modules so we have some=20
sort of consistency here.

Thank you for your time.