Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 2021 11:10:29 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenZFS from ports

Hello.

In the next few days I'm going to convert a 11.4 system from UFS +
UFS/GELI to ZFS.
In the past I would have created two sets of partitions, one for a zpool
and one for a zpool/GELI.
Of course this would be a limitation since the partition sizes are fixed
forever.

I hear OpenZFS has native encryption, but I'm not prepared to move to 13
yet, so I'm evaulating upgrading to 12.2 and using OpenZFS from ports.
Is this possible? Stable? Discouraged?
Anything to watch for?
Any disadvantage over GELI?

My (not definitive) plan would be:
_ move everything to ZFS first (this would be to a new set of HDs, so I
could keep the old ones as backup), losing encryption;
_ upgrade to 12.2;
_ switch to OpenZFS;
_ create a new encrypted dataset and move there the data that should be
encrypted.

Any better hint?

I know kernel modules should be built locally, but I normally build with
poudriere and never had any trouble.
Would this work for sysutils/openzfs-kmod?

  bye & Thanks
	av.