Date:      Wed, 03 May 2017 08:03:36 -0400
From:      <scratch65535@att.net>
To:        freebsd-ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pkg and packages

After doing a general pkg upgrade on my server-of-all-work, I
discovered after some research that the Big Grey Background I was
left with  was due to pkg having deleted, but not replaced, xfce4
desktop.

Trying to install the desktop package, I discovered that it's
bundled with at least 2 unrelated pieces of software:  Thunar,
and samba44.  That bothered me, but I needed the desktop.

pkg got totally confused during the install, first downloading 44
and THEN noticing the conflict with 46.  So it downloaded 46,
too(!), deleted the existing 46, installed 44, and then tried to
re-install 46, failing with a complaint because it had just
installed 44 and that created a conflict.

But it gets better.  Trying to reinstall the samba46 package, I
discovered that I'd have to sacrifice the desktop that I just
installed.

Clearly, no good can come of packaging unrelated software
together, so there needs to be a way to prevent that, or at least
criticise those who do it.

And pkg should (a) check for later versions *before* downloading
older ones, (b) preferably not install old versions over newer
without explicit permission, and (c) as a fallback should allow
packages to be decomposed at install time such that installation
is not a yes/no all-or-nothing choice.