Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2023 16:47:36 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qt6 the default qt on -current?

Please, use ports@ list next time. Every supported FreeBSD version uses
the same ports/ tree. Not supported FreeBSD versions require a time
machine i.e., rolling back the ports/ tree to a date before EOL.

void <void@f-m.fm> writes:

> How can I build making qt6 the default Qt?

When everything in ports supports Qt6. Once Plasma6 arrives Qt5 may
start to dilapidate and be eventually removed, similar to Qt4.

For comparison, gtk2 can use modern glib but qt5-gui cannot use qt6-core.

> I'm using poudriere to build. I can see that for some ports there's a
> 'uses: qt6' that goes in the port. What I was looking for was a default
> string I can use with a poudriere make.conf like there is for python or
> perl.

Only select few ports support more than one Qt version. Many use flavors
in order to provide both Qt5 and Qt6 versions as binary packages.

If upstream supports Qt6 but a port doesn't expose it file a bug.