Date:      13 Feb 2002 15:58:25 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do basic OS principles continue to improve?

j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:

> Since VM has been around for quite a while, and since the basic
> algorithms for task scheduling, page swapping, critical sections and so
> on have been around for a while as well as basic computer sci theory,
> what leads to the breakthrough new designs we see in BSD?  Other than
> SMP?

If I understand the question, I'll guess that a developer sees an
existing design that looks poor, either by pure reason or by its
ugliness, or by comparision of it's design or performance with a
similarly-purposed design in another OS or in some research report.

For example, if I was a kernel hacker, I might have done something with
a report I read on a school project in which the guy had a compiler
inside his kernel and had it compile optimised code as needed.  I didn't
see or don't remember the particular techniques he used, but I suppose
it was able to avoid indirect addressing or something.  He had several
techniques, as I recall.  He reported very significant speed-ups. (But
then, I'd guess that most bottlenecks are not hampered by inefficient
code as much as by inefficient algorithms, but I'd like to read his
report again.)  Sadly, I lost the URL a couple of years ago and a quick
google didn't find it.