Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2016 01:24:32 -0600
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>, "ports@FreeBSD.org Ports" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: The ports collection has some serious issues

On 12/18/2016 00:43, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 December 2016 at 20:16:12 -0600, John Marino wrote:
>> On 12/17/2016 19:35, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> $ cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth/ && make
>>> [ about an hour of grinding away elided ]
>>> ===>   ini_file_manager-03_2 depends on file: /usr/local/gcc6-aux/bin/ada - not found
>>> ===>  gcc6-aux-20160822 is only for amd64 i386, while you are running armv6.
>>>
>>> Overall, a total failure.
>>>
>>> OTOH, portmaster installs in a minute or so and runs perfectly well.  I fail
>>> to see why you are so insistant on replacing it with something that doesn't
>>> work at all.
>>
>> Real smooth there, Slick.
>
> Sarcasm might get you somewhere, but I'm not sure you want to be
> there.

He was trolling.  You know it. I know it.  Everyone that read it knows it.

>> It's been mentioned several times in this thread alone that Ada is
>> only available for i386 and amd64.  I think you already knew that
>> and thus this is a pure troll.
>
> I think Peter has highlighted a significant weakness.  A tool that
> doesn't work on all platforms is hardly a replacement for a core tool
> that does.

A) Portmaster is not a "core" tool.  That has been clearly defined.  It
is not official and references at imply that are supposed to be scrubbed
from the documentation.

B) This whole "replacement" thing has been warped.  Poudriere by itself
"replaces" portmaster.  It meets the criteria of "no dependencies / all
platforms".

C) The idea was that people that use portmaster had newer tools.

D) Synth doesn't even "replace" poudriere.  It performs better and can
just about everythere poudriere can and some things it can't, but I've
never recommended that a poudriere user should switch.

The whole "see, it's not a replacement, you lose" tactic is weak and
transparent.  Nobody ever said that.  what was said:

1) portmaster is not maintained (true)
2) portmaster's dirty build method is inferior to clean environment
builds (true)
3) There is better and official alternative (true)
4) There's a second, even more effective alternative for x86 platforms
(true)
5) portmaster should come with a big fat warning (subjective)

So poudriere doesn't have this "weakness" and synth only has it because
these 2nd tier platforms are popular enough to warrant bringing the Ada
compiler over to them.  Is it possible to port the ada frontend to
armv6/v7?  Of course, I've already done it, see lang/gnatdroid*.
However, it's questionable to try to build huge packages natively on
armv6/7.

You can't claim portmaster is the only and therefore best option for
second tier platforms.  It's untrue.  Saying it runs where synth isn't
available doesn't justify keeping portmaster at an exulted status.  You
cannot dismiss poudriere like that.

John

---