Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:54:08 +0100
From:      Arjan Van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Timecounter problems on 5.3 - things take twice as long

Hi,

I have a weird problem on a dual Xeon 550MHz system running
5.3-RELEASE. Everything takes twice as long as it should.

Example:
winston% time sleep 2
sleep 2  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 4.006 total

The same for pings, the scsi delay when booting, etc. The time of the
system itself doesn't seem to be affected (but maybe ntpd takes care
of that). I tried changing the kern.timecounter.hardware sysctl from
ACPI-safe to TSC and i8254, but that didn't help.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this? Do I have to provide more information?

Arjan