Date:      Wed, 20 May 2020 23:44:53 +0100
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The new graphics ports and pkg-base

On 20/05/2020 17:30, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 5/20/20 12:45 AM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>> I am trying to understand the impact of distributing ports with
>> sources on building and packaging base with pkg.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, some ports, when installed with pkg,
>> extract sources, which then supposed to be compiled with the kernel.
>>
>> For instance, drm-current-kmod extracts lots of files into
>> /usr/local/sys/modules/
>
> hrm I am not seeing that behavior on my end:
> $ pkg list drm-devel-kmod
> /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko
> /boot/modules/drm.ko
> /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
> /boot/modules/linuxkpi_gplv2.ko
> /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko
> /boot/modules/ttm.ko
> /boot/modules/vboxvideo.ko
> /boot/modules/vmwgfx.ko
> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/BSD2CLAUSE
> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/GPLv2
> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/LICENSE
> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/MIT
> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/catalog.mk
> $
>
> maybe i'm missing something though and this behavior only happens on
> systems using pkg-base?  i believe there was some discussion about
> bundling the required source to build drm-kmod locally in a similar
> fashion as linux dkms, but i'm not sure if that's progressed.

Have a look at this commit (comments and the pkg-plist):
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D20990

Also here
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/master/graphics/drm-current-kmod/pkg-plist

There is also the following comment in an email titled "drm drivers
project report (week of May 4th)" which "Emmanuel Vadot" posted to
freebsd-current and freebsd-x11:

 > As the drm-kmod ports install the sources in the system a kernel
 > compilation will rebuild those modules and install them in /boot/kernel
 > whereas using https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/ will install
 > everything in /boot/modules

I am not sure about drm-devel-kmod but I can confirm that a binary
drm-current-kmod does contain sources and installs them when the port is
installed. You can see those files in the commit I posted above.

GrzegorzJ