Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2016 09:57:17 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Build work 11.0 plans status update

On 6/30/16 12:42 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> (bcc'd some specific interested parties)
>
> This is from a private mail I sent to re@ a while back and is a status
> update for upcoming work.
>
>> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 11:18:58AM -0700, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>>> Heads up, I intend to continue adding a few new features during the
>>> slush/stable period since they are so impactful.  They will be
>>> off-by-default for stable/11 at this point I guess.  I feel this is fine
>>> since it is not ABI-related.
>>>
>>> - AUTO_OBJ: For subdir builds and buildworld, automatically create obj
>>> dirs without needing 'make obj'.  I wanted to enable this by default but
>>> can wait for the branch to be created.  There is some work pending for this.

Will there be a way to disable use of /usr/obj if desired?

Normally I do want it, but sometimes I don't.  One of my use cases is when
I have a src tree mounted via NFS into a VM guest and /usr/obj is private
to the guest.  Being able to build "in-tree" in a work checkout means that
the binary is available on the host so I can run a debugger against it,
and/or I can build the binary in one place and run it in both.

For my work with gdb which uses auto*, I use a 'obj' subdir of the checkout
which is akin to what Simon suggests, but I can do that on a per-tree basis
without having to set various env vars or having to specify make vars on each
make invocation.

Also, when building random little source files ('vi foo.c' / 'make foo') it's
the binary I just built.

--
John Baldwin