Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2023 18:01:01 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
From:      Alexander Burke <alex@alexburke.ca>
To:        Jan Behrens <jbe-mlist@magnetkern.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tried to reach out to the FreeBSD security team

Hi Jan,

I had a look at the issue to which you are referring.

My understanding of your concern is that after a snapshot is taken, a user has their access to some portion of the data revoked, but would be able to work around this new restriction via `.zfs/snapshots` by virtue of the fact that all snapshots are faithful read-only reproductions of state at the time each snapshot was created and they thus do not inherit changes made to permissions later on.

If I have misunderstood, please let me know (and probably disregard the rest of this reply).

Changing a snapshot is impossible by design, and This Is A Feature Not A Bug; if you want a changeable snapshot, then a clone is what you're after.

It would seem as though the `.zfs/snapshots` feature is not well-known (it does not appear even when `ls -lA` is invoked by root in the root directory of a pool, for example) and should probably be better publicized so each sysadmin can make a decision as to whether or not they should restrict access to that "directory" to the root user (or wheel or whatnot).

That said, perhaps there should be a discussion regarding whether or not `.zfs/snapshots` should be simply disabled by default.

Cheers,
Alex