Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2019 07:46:58 -0500
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speculative: Rust for base system components

--YKca981aoJ0Qm45jGoNlRSLtrWQ79U2Uz
From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--XYvkAQEoxZAJ3ICNi8mSi4WOZ7TL21rof

On 1/2/19 1:29 PM, Cy Schubert wrote:

>> I'm all for discussion and criticism of this, that's why I posted it,
>> but I don't think these kinds of false equivalences are helpful.
>=20
> Actually it is helpful. Without a solid proposal of a new feature or=20
> userland utility to be imported into base that requires the support of =

> a language not already in base, the implication of the original email=20
> starting this thread was to rewrite FreeBSD using rust.

That doesn't represent what I wrote at all, and is bordering on a
strawman argument.  Nobody to my knowledge is suggesting rewriting
everything, nor would that be possible.

> In reality we should rely more on ports. Over the years this business=20
> has become more fragmented. Each year we see new languages being=20
> developed and used. Importing new shiny objects into base is=20
> unsustainable. IMO the momentum is behind containerization,=20
> specifically kubernetes and docker-like containers. That is today. The =

> next year or two will introduce new technologies and shiny objects=20
> which we will likely need to introduce here to remain relevant. We=20
> should be looking to reduce the footprint of base, introduce new=20
> technologies in ports (ports are much easier to build from scratch,=20
> maintain, and update than base). Additionally the idea of meta-ports=20
> that install groups of packages would make building purpose-built=20
> systems a breeze for our user base, similar to what anaconda does, like=
=20
> a FreeBSD based LAMP (FAMP) stack package that installs all the=20
> necessary bits with one pkg install command.

And that seems to be the point of convergence in all this, which is fine
by me.  I was looking to discuss the options and figure out the best way
forward.