Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2017 10:12:43 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade php or python

On 06/12/2017 05:35, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> Let’s say I’m in a very common situation where a new PHP update is
> released. I have the core php71 package plus another dozen like
> php71-mysqli. How do I upgrade these without being forced to do it
> one at a time or upgrading every package on the system?

Assuming you have built your own pkg repository with poudriere and set
the default php version to whatever you want, then a simple 'pkg
upgrade' will do the trick.  This pretty much works for changing the
default version of php as well as just patch-level updates.

The trick with pkg(8) is not to try and upgrade things piecemeal -- it
is much more complicated than it at first appears, and the likelyhood is
you will end up with inconsistencies and even software failures.  It's
pkg(8)'s entire reason for existence to sort out all of this sort of
dependency relationships, and at the moment it does that best when it's
allowed to consider all of the packages you have installed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew