Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:42:10 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improvements to gvinum and it's future

Ulf Lilleengen wrote:

> Now, one could ask why I bother doing work on gvinum now, since we have gmirror,
> gconcat, graid3 and all that. The reason is that gvinum is important as a volume
> manager. Ivan Voras' work on gvirstor seems very promising as a foundation of a
> new volume manager, and I've been planning to start working on utilities (fvm,
> freebsd volume manager) that utilize these new geom classes instead of having to
> maintain a separate RAID implementations, but that will take time, and meanwhile

I'm not the one with power-of-decision here, but I think this would be
very counter-productive. I'd suggest a different approach, of which I
had plans on actually doing, but got sidetracked - to build a userland
utility that would use existing GEOM classes in more-or-less opaque way
to the user (meaning: users don't have to be aware of actual kernel
classes to do the job).

The idea was to build a curses terminal interface application (actually,
the Original plan was to do it as a part of a new X11 installer that
would be able to run standalone) which would allow users to graphically
(or at least - visually) draw the graph of classes they want (e.g. RAID
1+0, etc.) and the utility would generate the correct sequence of
commands to load and configure the classes, and also write a config file
of sorts (or maybe a runnable shell script) that can replicate that
configuration, for purpose of repeating in case of disaster or on
another machine.