Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:39:54 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Geom_label and multiple devices

--------------enig10E2A397132E254BEE6C5522

I've just thought of something - the situation where geom_label detects=20
multiple "same" labels is actually very similar to that of=20
geom_multipath. Obviously this doesn't apply 100% to UFS and other=20
filesystems' labels (except if there's a way to identify different file=20
systems by their superblock, for example timestamp of creation?), but in =

case of "manual" labels, if the unique ID matches and the label string=20
matches, it's probably the same device.

Currently, geom_label discards "additional" devices with the same label, =

and I remember there was a discussion about if that should be changed=20
(though I don't remember the conclusions). It would be useful if=20
geom_label would work the same as geom_multipath in this case (i.e.=20
failover to "next" device, add new devices with same label+id to the=20
pool), or even if geom_multipath were merged in geom_label.

Comments?