Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:21:40 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   serial console

I have not been able to get the serial console to work.  RELENG_4_3.
New install from CD followed by a cvsup.  I have:

/boot.config:
-h

/boot/loader.conf:
userconfig_script_load="YES"
console="comconsole"

I have tried with the kernel built with the flags for sio0 set to
0x10 and 0x30.

In all cases, the system boots on the video console.  If I interrupt
it during the early boot and give the -h manually, then it uses the
serial console properly until the next boot.  I get the impression
that /boot.conf is not being read because if I put garbage in it
there is no visible effect.

I have researched the archives and tried the things mentioned without
any success.
--
-- Doug