Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:51:39 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
Subject:   Jail question: packages with relative symlinks

Dear Experts,

I've got question about jails, namely, what do you do if some package
you install in jail brings relative symlink(s)?

I install jails "by the book" and if relative symlinks are in
/usr/local, there is no problem with those, as in jail an equivalent of
/usr/local is

/s/usr-local

and the depth is the same as on real system. However, /etc in jail is

/s/etc

and if package brings relative symlink to /etc, in jail it will point
nowhere. I just resolved this failure for package ca_root_nss in jail.
This package places in

/etc/ssl

relative symlink:

cert.pem --> ../../usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt

In jail, however it is situated in

/s/etc/ssl

so the above relative symlink points nowhere. I did a "trivial" thing,
just replaced relative symlink with absolute one:

cert.pem --> /usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt

,and as this symlink is owned by the package ca_root_nss, I locked that
package, to prevent it from "automagically" replacing symlink with
relative if updated package is installed.

This is kind of crude solution, standing next to the "hack", so I do not
like what I did.

I wonder, how jail experts deal with relative symlinks when some package
brings it into place where filesystem depth in jail is different from
real system.

Thanks.
Valeri

Valeri Galtsev