Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:40:03 +0100
From:      "Ruzsinszky Attila" <ruzsinszky.attila@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting FreeBSD from AlphaBIOS

> If you're going to run anything other than NT, you'd better go the SRM
It is the default, of course.

> way. If your board doesn't have SRM loaded, head over to [1] for
> download and installation instructions. You will then be able to enter
> the AlphaBios setup program and select SRM from Utilities -> CMOS Setup
> - -> Advanced -> Console selection. Keep in mind that you'll need BSD-type
> disklabels on your boot disk, but that's ok with Linux and all BSDs.
I will check it next monday.

> There is also a method to swith between AlphaBios and SRM; have a look at
> [2] (although that one pertains more to the linux folk). FWIW I switched
> my 164SX to SRM a decade ago and never looked back at AlphaBios since
> then...
It will be checked, too.
In the floppy drive now there is a floppy disk with ra200ecu.exe (and some other
files related to Mylex RAID controller). Can I use this floppy disk?

I don't understand exactly the mentioned sfdisk command. Of course there
aren't any hdX drive in my machine just sdX.

> Some of the alpha boards didn't have enough space for both firmware
> images and you could have only one of them loaded at each time (and
> needed to flash the other one back, should you decide to change
> firmwares), so ymmv.
After POS SRM is starting. From the >>> prompt I can start AlphaBIOS
so I think I don't have to reflash in every time.
The machine is: AS4000

TIA,
Ruzsi